To introduce learners to Psychotherapy theory that underpins counselling skills, with considerations to ethics, personal development and administrative responsibilities.
· Core Skills: Learners will be taught a range of core counselling skills that are utilised in helping relationships.
· Learners will be given the opportunity to practice skills in a safe and ethical virtual environment.
· Introduction to theoretical base: Learners will be taught key elements of psychological theories: Psychodynamic, Person-Centred and Cognitive behavioural therapy.
· Diversity & Ethics: Learners will explore and begin to utilise a professional ethical framework, understanding its relevance to practice.
· Learners will explore issues involved in working with diversity, inclusive of anti-discriminatory practice.
Personal development: Learners will be encouraged to examine and develop an in-depth understanding of their own qualities, value systems and support needs within professional helping roles.
No formal qualification or prior learning requirement is necessary. An interest in developing skills to support others either at work or in a personal capacity is desired.
If you do not complete the Introductino to Counselling course, you will need to complete a short Initial Assessment prior to joining the course, as a reasonable standard of written and spoken english is required.
Access to the internet and use of a Tablet or Laptop to attend the sessions online via Microsoft Teams. Notepad and pen to take notes.
To be able to attend two sessions per week - Wednesday evening 1830-2100 and Friday morning 0930-1200, for 15 weeks.
Learners will be expected to keep a personal journal and to read/complete exercises (approx. 2 hours a week).
Discovery learning through online group discussion, peer learning, tutor input, practice sessions and individual reflective practice.
Tutor and peer observation, portfolio, practical work, written assignments, recording of practice sessions..
This course would support applications to work in caring roles, other courses involving work with people.
Level 3 course in counselling or related subject.